James Ward | Audio, Video & Motion Graphics Creator
An experienced, creative Master’s graduate, I have a proven track record of delivering cutting-edge work for one of the world’s best-known brands – Emirates – having worked for the Airline and its associated travel and ancillary businesses at their Dubai Head Office for almost two years.
Organised and dependable, my drive and meticulous attention to detail are matched by technical expertise and affinity for producing high quality, engaging, video content. I’m used to working both independently and as part of a team and regularly work off site, at outside events or on location.
Currently completing my two-year contract I will be returning to the UK in early July and am flexible where in the UK I relocate to. I have a full clean driving license and am available for mid-July start.
Emirates Airline, Corporate Comms Dept. – Video Editor/Producer – August 2016 to date
I’ve been in-house Video Editor based in the fast-paced environment of Emirates’ Corporate Communications, Marketing and Brand dept. for almost two years. As one of the world’s fastest growing airlines with over 100 aircraft flying to more than 150 destinations, standards and expectations of its employees and their work are high. As a team we’ve taken visual story-telling to new heights for the business, regularly reaching an audience of millions and earning the respect of our industry peers.
My work supports not just the airline but also owned companies like dnata travel and internal departments like internal communications, recruitment and training. I create video content, mostly for consumer audiences, across a range of uses – from paid advertising to distribution to news media by the PR team’s network of agencies worldwide. The majority of my time is dedicated to working in close co-operation with the in-house social media team for whom I create video content for placement across all owned platforms including Facebook, Linked In and YouTube as well as Emirates’ customer website.
Having gained a thorough appreciation of company’s style and standards I regularly manage the work of external suppliers. From providing initial brief, to hands-on supervision on location, review of completed work I ensure every finished product is accurate, on brand, delivered on time and is within budget.
- Produce high impact, engaging videos either from new footage or re-purposing existing assets
- Management of both internal and external stakeholders, interpret briefs, manage time effectively
- Produce training videos for internal depts inc cabin crew then build, maintain training resource library
- Edit and sub-titled news videos to accompany press releases distributed to media worldwide
- Build, maintain a video footage and royalty-free music database, for use in future re-purposing
- Staying on top of new developments advising on soft and hardware purchases
- Proficient in: camera/sound equipment use; Adobe CC: After Effects, Premier Pro, Illustrator, Audition
Previous Work Experience
While studying, secured work placements and did freelance work to build my experience and CV. Below are examples of some businesses I worked for – I can share reference letters from all upon request.
AME Info – Dubai’s key online news site – Video Producer/Editor Intern Nov to Dec 2011
- Helped source news items and shadowed the recording of video interviews on location
- Amid a busy newsroom, I had to work on my own initiative during direct contact with clients
- Helped them clear a long backlog of footage, editing it into useable videos for their online news site
- On live locations, I helped co-ordinate the equipment needed ensuring nothing was forgotten
Dubai ’92 – part of Arabian Radio Network – Production Intern – July to August 2010
- Spent a month of my summer vacation working with the News Editor to produce sound links, music clips, voiceovers and trailers.
BBC Middle East Business Report – Logger and News Intern – May to June 2010
Spent two months shadowing the BBC’s Middle East team delivering content for the UK’s BBC World channel. Worked for Ben Thompson who is still Business Editor on BBC’s Breakfast Show in the UK and co-host of BBC Business Live. A copy of Ben’s personal written testimonial can be provided on request.
- Took notes at daily editorial meetings and learned how television news broadcasts are planned
- Went out on numerous interview shoots, helping to log the captured content back in the office
- Transcribed the interviews and logged each clip to ensure the best content use in the programme
- Assisted in generating story ideas, how best to tell the stories and then chasing potential contacts for research information or to arrange interview opportunities, working efficiently and to tight deadlines
Master’s Degree (Hons) Graduated January 2016
- Radio and Audio Production at Birmingham City University
- Graduated with a ‘Merit’
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Graduated October 2014
- Creative Digital Media (inc. audio and video skills; camera operation, flat design; illustrator)
- University of Worcester
- Graduated with a ‘2:1’
Three A Level passes – Grade range B – C:
- ICT, Business Studies, Media Studies
- Jumeirah College, GEMS British Curriculum School, Dubai. Sept 2009 – June 2011
Eight GCSE passes – Grade range A – D:
- ICT, Maths, Science, Additional Science, English Language, French, Business Studies, English Literature
- Jumeirah College, GEMS British Curriculum School, Dubai. Sept 2005 – June 2009
Additional specialist short courses:
Motion Graphics – SAE Institute, Dubai (worldwide creative media course specialists) – March-April 2016
Photography (including portrait, landscape, lighting) – SAE Institute, Dubai – May-June 2016
Skills and Competencies
- Proficient in the use of cameras, sound equipment and softwares to capture the story
- Experienced editor – competent user of Adobe Creative Suite: After Effects, Premier Pro, Illustrator
- Creating captions and titles for videos (I completed a certified a motion graphics short course)
- Story sourcing and telling – planning, story concept creation, execution of finished outcome.
- I hold a full, clean driving license
Adobe Premier Pro
Adobe After Effects
Use of Microphones
Voluntary and Community Work
Bromyard Speed Festival – Bromyard, UK– Videographer and Sound Recordist – April 2016
- Official event videographer, captured displays of vehicles, the rally and audience reaction
- Pitched and recorded interviews with the event organiser, racing drivers and the Town Mayor
- Sourced royalty-free backing and edited the footage to produce the final edit
Courtyard Playhouse Dubai – Dubai, UAE- Volunteer Videographer, Editor, Improviser and Actor – current
- I’m a regular volunteer, helping both backstage and front of house even occasionally acting as MC
- In Nov. 2017 was volunteer videographer during week-long Arabian Nights ‘Improv’ ticketed festival
- Used my own DSLR camera, sound and lighting equipment then edited all footage for their channels